Monday, October 17, 2011

Occupy America!

I was reading the ThinkProgress blog post titled "Over 1,000 Americans Have Been Arrested Protesting Wall Street, While Bankers Have Dodged Major Prosecutions" and I was then very intrigued by the Occupy Wall Street movement. I've been hearing about it for weeks now and it finally came to Austin.

I don't have much of an opinion on the protest, really. I can appreciate the meaning behind the movement, but I don't feel like it's getting anywhere. People are being arrested left and right because of this movement. People are upset that more bankers weren't prosecuted and sentenced, that banks got a bailout but individuals didn't, that one percent of the population holds 42% of the nations wealth and many other reasons. Yet, as the blog clearly shows, the majority no longer have the right to protest or speak out against the minority that is governing us.

This blog post doesn't have much opinion in it, it's more factual than anything, but I can sense that the author didn't write this post because he agrees with it, but because of how unjust the results of this protest are. I agree. I feel like the amount of people that have been arrested because of this protest is ridiculous... insane almost. I'm pretty ashamed of our government and the way this protest is being handled.

What happened to freedom of speech? Freedom of assembly?

No comments:

Post a Comment