Sunday, October 2, 2011

Big Brother is killing... I mean watching.

I read this article earlier today and I found the debate contained within very interesting. Friday, the U.S military authorized the drone killing of al-Awlaki, a natural born US citizen, who was also heavily involved with Al-Qaeda. I chose this article because the debate is an interesting one: Is it morally right to kill a citizen of this country even if they are involved in terrorist actions? Also, where and when is it appropriate to conduct such an assassination?

I believe that a terrorist is a terrorist, natural citizen or not, if you are targeting a country with terrorism, you are the enemy. What I don't believe in is the manner in which the assassination was conducted. I agree that it was inappropriate to kill him in a non-conflict area, and I feel that in a way, the government has overstepped its boundaries. I feel that this action makes America look worse, and as a side effect, makes me look bad as a citizen of this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment